Sofitel Legend Santa Clara is set within the former convent of the Nuns of the Order of Saint Claire, constructed in 1621.
The hotel has two sides, and a bit of a split personality. The original “colonial” building revolves around a shaded garden courtyard.
The hotel is part of Sofitel’s Legend collection—the French-chain’s portfolio of iconic properties. White-caped concierges greet guests, and a concierge desk is at the ready near reception.
Rooms on the colonial side feature whitewashed beams and restored wood floors; rooms on the more contemporary side have larger windows.
Each of the 123 guest rooms is furnished with air conditioning, security box, television, mini-bar, bathrobes, slippers, and hairdryer. Wi-Fi is available throughout the hotel.
Upper room categories include private terraces and balconies, king-size beds, and butler service.
The focus of the more modern “republican” building—once the convent’s hospital and garden—is a palm-flanked swimming pool. Among the hotel’s other amenities are a full-service spa, two bars, two restaurants, hot tub, steam room, and fitness center.
Sofitel Legend Santa Clara is located within the walled confines of Old Town Cartagena, on Plaza San Diego.
This bustling square is ringed by some of the historic city’s best cafes and restaurants. Guests can reach the Clock Tower or Plaza Santo Domingo in 10 to 15 minutes afoot.
Since 2006, LANDED has arranged experiences such as these for our guests in Cartagena:
- Visits to the sprawling, gritty, ever-changing Bazurto Market
- Rum tastings led by a master mixologist
- Sunset cruises in the Bay of Cartagena
- Drumming and boxing lessons
- Bicycle or walking explorations of the street art in bohemian Getsemani
- Private day trips by yacht to the Rosario Islands (snorkeling and beaches)
- Visits with sculptors and painters
- Walking or driving explorations of the old city with architects and historians
- Privately guided explorations of Castillo San Felipe—the largest Spanish construction in
the New World