MV Ocean Nova is an ice-strengthened polar expedition ship ideally suited for Antarctic voyages. The ship has an ice-class 1B, EO (Hull Ice 1A).
Fully refurbished in 2006, the ship’s interior has light wood panels, accents, and furniture, with red and blue carpeting and upholstery; we sometimes describe this as the ship Ikea would have designed. Ocean Nova has a maximum capacity of 67 passengers for their air-cruises, supported by a crew of 46.
Ocean Nova is 239.5 feet long, with a width (beam) of 36 feet, and a draft to baseline of 12 feet. With diesel engines of 2,000 horsepower, the Ocean Nova cruising speed is of 12 knots in open water.
In addition to a glass-enclosed observation lounge and bar, the panorama lounge located on deck 5, Ocean Nova also has a dining room, a library, a small gym, and an infirmary.
Ocean Nova has a non-smoking policy, but guests can smoke in certain designated areas.
All meals onboard the ship, hot drinks such as coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, as well as Chilean wines and soft drinks during dinner, are included in all itineraries.
Telecommunication and Wi-Fi are available at an additional cost.
Voyages aboard the Ocean Nova are designed to maximize opportunities to enjoy the attractions of the Antarctic Peninsula area, including its wildlife, beautiful scenery, historical attractions, and the various scientific stations. Regular shore excursions are planned throughout your time on board. Ocean Nova carries a fleet of seven Zodiacs for exploration and remote landings. Zodiac cruising and onshore hiking are included with every departure (weather permitting).
On certain departures, the Ocean Nova cruise ship also offers optional adventure programs such as sea kayaking or hiking and snowshoeing. These activities come at an additional cost.
A pair of waterproof expedition boots and a waterproof expedition parka will be given to each guest on loan for shore landings.
When you aren’t exploring the Antarctic on land or cruising the coastline in a Zodiac, you can enjoy the Ocean Nova regular briefings about the landing sites and the itinerary. Antarctic experts will also offer lectures on biology, history, climate, etc. Documentaries will also be available for guests.
Ocean Adventurer Cabin Options
The Ocean Nova offers three cabin categories:
- Dedicated Single Cabins – Average size 87 square feet, and it is furnished with one lower single bed.
- Twin Cabins – Average size 106 square feet, furnished with two lower beds.
- Triple Cabins – Average size 150 square feet, furnished with two lower beds and one upper bed.
All cabins feature a picture window, a writing desk with chair, a wardrobe, hair dryer, individually controlled heating system, and a private bathroom with shower.
Laundry service is available at an additional cost.
The Ocean Nova operates air cruises of five, seven, and nine-night.
Sample 7-night Cruise: Antarctica Express – Fly the Drake:
- Day 1: Arrive at Punta Arenas before 2PM. Enjoy a welcome dinner and a briefing in preparation for embarkation day.
- Day 2: Fly to King George Island. After landing, stretch your legs with a 1.25 mile walk to the shore, passing Chile’s Frei Station and Russia’s Bellingshausen Station, before being transferred by Zodiac to your ship for embarkation.
- Day 3-6: Cruise the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands. Disembark by Zodiac and explore the continent each day. No journey is the same.
- Day 7: Disembark in King George Island for your flight back to Punta Arenas. Upon arrival, group transfer to the hotel and afternoon and evening at leisure.
- Day 8: Morning breakfast day at leisure to continue your travels.
Additional land accommodations and transfers are not included except where explicitly stated.
*The maximum weight allowed on the flights to and from Antarctica is 20 kg (44 Lb.) per passenger, including hand luggage. Any excess baggage may be left in custody In Punta Arenas. For air-cruises starting in Ushuaia, excess luggage will be disembarked at Port Williams and sent to Punta Arenas by air cargo at the traveller’s expense. Custody luggage will be available for pick up in Punta Arenas upon your return from Antarctica. Due to technical requirements imposed by the flight operation, excess luggage allowance cannot be purchased.
LANDED has a direct contract with the Ocean Nova. We can also arrange air travel, touring, and accommodations in Chile and Argentina. Speak with one of our expert travel planners today at 801.582.2100. We’ll take care of the details.